Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Coconut Candy

Coconut candy is popular in Malaysia and now it is found only in home during festive occasions. I can hardly ever see it these days except for several restaurants that sell Indian sweets.



I'd made this delicious candy a few times based on a recipe from Her World Cookbook – Potpourri of Malaysian Flavours. The last time I did was 2 months ago for sale at a food carnival. The ingredients required are really simple but one downside of making coconut candy is the tedious and non-stop stirring of the mixture. No joke...you really have to stand in front of the stove, and stir and stir...until the candy is ready to be transferred to a tray.

If anyone of you hasn’t had this candy for a long time and wishes to try making it yourself at home, here's the recipe that’s worth trying...

Ingredients
3 cups finely grated coconut
3 cups sugar (I only used 2 cups)
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp butter
Few drops red colouring
Few drops vanilla essence

Method
1. In a wide saucepan put the grated coconut, sugar, milk and salt. Mix well with a wooden spoon.

2. Place pan on low heat and allow to cook without stirring. When the sugar has dissolved, add the butter, red colouring and vanilla essence. Stir gently, occasionally.

3. When the mixture thickens, increase heat a little and stir continuously to prevent burning. When the mixture forms a mass and the candy begins to crystalise on the sides of the pan, take the pan off the heat.

4. Transfer the candy into a greased plate/tray. Press the candy down gently and when it cools slightly, cut into diamond or any other shape, but do not separate until the candy has hardened properly.

Tips: I read it somewhere that the coconut you choose is important. Use old coconuts rather than young ones, as the taste is better. To test if the candy is ready, put about half a teaspoon of candy into a glass of water. If it remains firm and doesn’t break, then the candy is done.


Coconut candy was for sale for 3 tokens each packet along with other foods during the food carnival.

19 comments:

Jaanvi said...

Hey cool.. it seems like coconut burfi found here in india... gonna give it a try for sure..

MommyAngel said...

You know how to make coconut candy and sell it in the fair too? Must be tasting really good! You are really good in these I can see :)

Merryn said...

oo i luv coconut candy! sometimes i eat until my teeth hurts! :D

Family First said...

hey thanks for a really cool recipe! been searching for this for ages! seems like these days can hardly find these candies anymore. will do this for x'mas!

Serene said...

I never try this before but guess it sure taste good!

Cynthia said...

wah.. a long lost candy that I have not eaten for long long time.. thanks for sharing the recipe.. :)

Oliveoylz said...

I haven't seen this candy in at least 10 years! Brings back a lot of memories of school fairs and festivities...stir so long, sure cannot feel ur arm anymore ya?

Mummy Gwen said...

Wah..you can make coconut candy too. You are a great baker and chef lah. They look so yummy.

slavemom said...

They r so colourful. Must be vy laku as they're hard to find these days. Btw, how was the fair? Wanted to go after lunch, but it rained.

Mummy Moon said...

I like this candy very much leh
. I had haven't try this long long time already... is hard to find. You know, I get to know and try this coconut candy when I was in secondary school. It was only sell for some special festival or event in my school, like canteen day. Miss it so much. Btw, need how much time to get the candy done?

Irene said...

WAAAAAHHHH... nice nice :)

Fussy mum said...

Ginie: The carnival went well, quite a huge crowd and we managed to sell most of our foodstuff. Yah, the heavy downpour came so suddenly on that day and it lasted for quite a while. All in all, we'd fun and to me, it was a good experience :)

Mummy Moon: U need to stir the candy mixture until it forms a sticky mass and leaves sides of the pan/wok. (approx. 30 mins or maybe more depending on the amount of mixture).

LittleLamb said...

i never tried coconut candy before.. can u beat that?! my mom didnt allow me sweet stuff last time. but i will sure introduce to philip.

coffeesncookies said...

Hi, thanks for dropping by my blog. I remember this coconut candy recipe. Mum & sis used to make them looong loong time ago. They added rose essence & pink coloring and another one had MILO in it. You are lucky, your girl likes food, mine doesn't and most of time, does not even taste my baking.

Fussy mum said...

Rachel: cannot beat lah...u have to slowly cook it on stove. So troublesome hor? It's true that this candy is very sweet, but u can always reduce the sugar to your liking.

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

I remembered this dessert. My auntie used to make it and I loved it.

Yours one looked so yummy and colourful. I like it.

So how was the sales at the carnival?

Health Freak Mommy said...

I love coconut candies to bits. I used to make them and sell them when I was in school. I've not eaten them for aeons... coz too scared of gaining weight... highly fattening food!

SueSue said...

Oh the coconut candy looks good. Ok I am gonna try it this Saturday again using your recipe. Thanks ya and will post it up once successful.

Anonymous said...

Check stonedprincess@yahoo.com on fb..candy @ d carnival was made by her....more info on her fb!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin